I hold a Bachelor's Degree in Art Education from Millersville University and a Master's Degree in Art Education from Towson University. I was hired by the School District of the City of York in February of 1999. I taught elementary art for six years and then middle school art for six years. At the high school, I have taught digital design and served as the yearbook advisor. I am currently teaching drawing, fiber arts, and my favorite, ceramics.
Choice-based art education regards students as artists and offers them real choices for responding to their own ideas and interests through the making of art. I am passionate about providing creative-thinking and problem-solving opportunities for my students. I firmly believe that students who develop the skills to confidently form new ideas and create thoughtful solutions will be better prepared for their future endeavors regardless of their choice in career path. In my art studio, students are taught that the process of creating art is just as important as the final product. Students progress through the artistic process from inspiration to research, to planning, to creating, to revising, to reflecting and finally assessing. I employ artistic behaviors, student choice, digital portfolios and elements of flipping to help me accomplish the goals I set for my students and the goals they set for themselves.
Education and Experience
MEd Art, Towson University, August 2004
Certificate, Digital Design: Print, Pennsylvania College of Art & Design, December 2012
BSE Art, Millersville University, December 1992
MD Advanced Professional Teaching Certification, January 2017
PA Instructional II Teaching Certification, June 2004
PA Instructional I Teaching Certification, January 1993
ART TEACHING EXPERIENCE
8-11 – present High School Art Teacher, School District of the City of York
- Tenth through twelfth grade Ceramics I, II and III - Current Position - 9th year
- Ninth through twelfth grade Drawing - Current Position - 2nd year
- Tenth through twelfth grade Fiber Arts - Current Position - 1st year
- Tenth through twelfth grade Digital Design I and II: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator – Four years.
- Yearbook Advisor – Five years.
- Student population includes life skills, emotional support, English language learners, autistic and gifted students.
8-05 – 8-11 Middle School Art Teacher, School District of the City of York
- Fifth through eighth grade including life skills, emotional support, hearing impaired, English language learners, autistic and gifted students.
- Mentored three part-time student teachers from Millersville University.
- Team Leader for the rewriting of the School District of the City of York’s middle school visual arts curriculum and rubrics - 2008-2009.
- Presented a staff development session to elementary teachers - Incorporating Art into the Elementary Classroom - February 2006.
- Trained to use the Success for All, Reading Edge program - Taught the level six reading program during morning reading block - 2006-2011.
8-99 – 8-05 Elementary Art Teacher, School District of the City of York
- Kindergarten through fifth grade including diagnostic kindergarten, life skills, emotional support, hearing impaired, multi-handicapped, English language learners and gifted students.
- Mentor teacher through Pennsylvania Teacher Induction Program - 2003-2004 and 2004-2005.
- Participated in the hiring of an elementary art teacher - summer 2003.
- Team member in the rewriting of the School District of the City of York’s elementary visual arts curriculum, rubric and benchmarks.
- Trained to use the Great Leaps reading-intervention program - Tutored third-grade students with the program during morning planning time - 2003-2004 and 2004-2005.
- Bullying Prevention Committee - 2002-2005.
- Participated in a three-year pilot program for year-round school.
2-99 – 8-99 Long Term Substitute Teacher, School District of the City of York
- Middle-school art for ten weeks.
- Fourth grade for six weeks.
- Per Diem substitute in grades one through eight between the long-term positions.
8-98 – 2-99 Instructional Assistant, VisionQuest
(Students from the School District of the City of York)
- Tutored middle-school students with special needs.
- Observed behaviors and implemented appropriate modification.
- Established weekly phone contacts with parents and caseworkers.
- Performed home visitations.
- Attended students’ court proceedings.
- Maintained student documentation.
5-96 – 8-96 Summer Art Teacher, De La Salle Vocational
- High-school aged, adjudicated males from inner-city Philadelphia.
- Observed and documented behaviors.
- Reported to caseworkers.
6-06 – present Summer Volunteer, Creative York (formerly YorkArts)
- Instructor/assistant instructor for Art in the Parks (free art activities for York City youth), art camps and adult classes.
ART RELATED ACTIVITY
Director of Programming, Pennsylvania Art Education Association, July 2018 - present
Member, Pennsylvania Art Education Association
Member, National Art Education Association